Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Identity.

Who am I? Who are you? Who are we? It seems there's always an identity we are seeking, an image we are chasing...and we find confusion, discontentment, and ultimately, we wind up with no clear answer.....




Casting Crowns recorded a song, it begin...."Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth, would care to to know my name, would care to feel my hurt?" As the song, continues, it's clear that it's "not because of who I am, but because of what You've done...not because of what I've done, but because of who You are." I've listened to this song many times since it's release, and each time to true magnitude of who I am to who He is falls on me. 



Recently, it caused me to wonder, if, in my years of parenting, I've conveyed to my children, who they are?!? And, furthermore, made me begin a search on who I am...in Him. So many times, I wear the title of wife, mom, homemaker, nurse, housekeeper, etc., that I forget, I am so much more! 

In seeking my identity, and in making a reference to share with my children, and to begin speaking Life and Truth into them about their identities, I found the following: 


I am....

  • made by His hands, known first, by Him - Psalm 139:13
  • God's child - John 1:12
  • a friend of Jesus - John 15:15
  • united with Him, one with him in Spirit - 1 Corinthians 6:17
  • chosen and adopted by Him - Ephesians 1:3-8
  • complete in Him - Colossians 2:9-10
  • established, annointed, and sealed by God - 2 Corinthians 1:21-22
  • hidden with Christ in God - Colossians 3:14
  • a citizen of Heaven - Philippians 3:20
  • born of God, and the evil one cannot touch me - 1 John 5:8
  • His temple - 1 Corinthians 3:16
  • a minister of reconciliation - 2 Corinthians 5:17-21
  • capable of ALL things through Him - Philippians 4:13

This list is, by no means, a complete list, it is simply an excerpt from my own journal, my seeking through the Word. In Him, we are SO much more! Yet, seeking the answers, and writing it out, made me think of exactly how special He considers me. And while the song is right, it's not because of anything we do, or anything we are....it's because of Him, He created us to need Him, AND to feel loved, secure, and significant in His eyes. He created us to have an amazing Identity, through Him.

See, He is Sovereign. He knows all, is all, and He knew there would be some of His precious creations neglected, abandoned, hurt, helpless, etc. Nothing surprises Him. These truths of who we are are true for those as well. I am one of those. And yet, I am daughter of the KING!!!!!!!! 

I encourage you to not get caught up in who the world says you are and/or should be. We were not created to have an identity crisis, we were created by and for Him! Seek who He says you are, find your true identity....and this is ONLY found in Christ Jesus! At the end of the day (quoting a  friend/mentor and my super awesome small group leader), "I am a reflection of the I am." Who are you? Seek Him. His reflection is within you. You too, are a reflection of the I am! Your identity is more than what the world sees, it is Him, lovingly woven within you. 

Be Blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment