Tuesday, October 8, 2013

NO Bathroom Cleaning Day on my Schedule.... Thank You!





This image makes me giggle...why? Because I choose NOT to do this, thank you! I do not, on my cleaning list, have a day where I clean my bathrooms. Now, before you jump to the conclusion that my house, specifically my bathrooms, must be disgusting, hear me out. My house is lived in, I have 3 children, 2 of which are boys, so it's never perfect. However, I take pride in my job as a homemaker and strive to do my job to the best of my ability. 




This particular practice became my new normal when I gave birth to my last baby, who is now 6. I was overwhelmed with a baby who never napped, I had a 1st grader who needed homework help, and an 8th grade daughter, in the midst of that awkward teenage stage. She needed reassurance of her place in the world, encouragement, etc. We've since become a homeschooling family, and I couldn't imagine my housekeeping schedule being any different.

Now, on to how I DON'T clean my bathrooms. I use to spend a day cleaning my entire house from top to bottom. Looking back, I don't know why.  A good portion of that time was spent in the bathroom(s). There was the toilet, the sink, the tub....and it took a bit of time. 

As a desperately exhausted mom of a newborn, one night while giving my 1st grader a bath, I decided during his play time, I would wipe down the sink and toilet. Furthermore, I reasoned that while he was getting dressed, I could scrub the tub, since I would already be in the bathroom. So, I did. And my new routine was born. 

To this day, at bathtime, I wipe the toilet and sink of the kid's bathroom. One night a week, I scrub the tub after they've bathed. As for my bathroom, when I get dressed each morning, I wipe over the sinks and toilets. One day a week, when I'm in the shower, I scrub down the shower walls (often using shampoo, not a cleaner, gasp! --- and it works JUST as well) and again, a clean bathroom. And finally, our downstairs bathroom works into my evening pick-up routine. As I pass by, I simply grab the spray and clean the sink and toilet and my downstairs bathroom (and all the others, for that matter) are company ready, at all times!!! 

See, it's daily maintenance for me, no extra time investment really, just habit. BUT, I don't have to worry if someone stops by if my bathroom's clean (except for the joys of little boys who sometimes miss the toilet, though that phenomenon I will NEVER understand) so I can focus on making the living room/kitchen my quick pickup to make our home company ready in a few short minutes. 

I don't do what I do for praise, but I get to spend more time with my family if I make efforts to simplify and minimize my housecleaning chores. I believe one day, my daughters husband, and for that matter, my sons' wives will thank me for teaching their beloveds that a house (or the cleaning of the place) shouldn't rule over the rest, yet it's important to keep a nice home. There is a sense of peace and warmth over the home that is cared for....I can sense that here, most days! I consider my work my ministry to my family, one I take very seriously. I believe, wholeheartedly, that the woman/mom is the beginning of the heart/attitude/presence of the HOME, and strive daily, for Proverbs 31.


I should clarify, the floors still come under my cleaning days. So they do get mopped weekly. But ultimately, I don't have to spend an hour or more cleaning bathrooms, because they are maintained daily! Do you have any tips/tricks/shortcuts you use in keeping your home? I'd love to hear them!

Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment