Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Bend in the Road...




It was just like any other day, or at least, the days I LOVE, when all seems to fall into place. Beds made, morning chores done, and school was planned for later that day, since one of the kids had an early doctor's appointment. I made my morning phone calls, including my grandmother, just to let her know storms were coming. 
She's 88, super-independent, and my hero...she drives, she cleans, she cares for others, and above all, loves Jesus. I just wanted her to make sure, IF she had any errands to run, to come home before the storms. I like knowing she's safe and sound. 

As I left my son's doctor's office some short time later, I looked at my phone (which I always put on silent at appointments) to see I had 3 missed calls, and one of them left a voicemail. They were all her, and it was odd. She rarely calls more than once a day, and NEVER 3 in a row. The voicemail was her, she didn't mean to leave it, but it let me know she had fallen, and was alone, and needed help. 


As it turns out, she had broken her hip and shoulder, would need surgery to repair them, and we are now on the rehabilitation portion of her journey. What I have learned, is that even though I lived away from home 15 years, that sweet lady, instilled more in me in the 15 years that she raised me, than I ever learned on my own. She was an integral part of my upbringing, since both of my parents worked and my mom was ill a lot of the time. 





And, while I have doubted my homemaking skills at times, that day I realized something huge. These tiny steps I take each day, these things my grandmother told me was important, even when I wasn't too interested....are so important. I left my family a clean house, a menu, food to create meals, and the ability to learn (if limited, still school was done) in my absence. And I knew how to lean on the Father, and pray through each moment!

Don't misread this. I am NOT bragging on my abilities. I am simply giving credit to God for certain realizations, that, even though I dread sometimes, I attempt to accomplish the tasks needed for the day. AND, for His provision of this precious woman who has served others ALWAYS before herself, yet never neglected her time with Him. I still see her kneeling by her bed each night, covering us AND so many others in prayer. 


 Above all, I thank Him for the structure of our household. To some, it may seem crazy, but my husbands days/nights/off days (3-12 hr days/3 days off/3-12 hr nights/3 days off...repeat), homeschooling, and me being a stay at home mom, were ALL perfectly lined up to allow me to jump in and take care of the needs as they arose. My constant laundry, while frustrating at times (and repetitive), has been nice as I pick up my grandma's clothing to wash and return.

And, after beginning this, my great-uncle and great-aunt, who live beside my grandmother, fell within 18 hours of one another; another great-aunt, who was staying with my grandma when she fell, is going today for a scan to see if her lymphoma is back...and when it all seems too much...I have peace. Because He gives me peace.

I could walk in fear, shut down and do nothing, whine because there's too much going on, be afraid for what comes next, but I prefer to remember:



                                                               


"The Lord is my Light and Salvation. Whom shall I fear? Of whom shall I be afraid? The Lord is my Rock, protecting me from danger, why should I tremble? When evil comes to devour me, when enemies attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though an army surrounds me, my heart will not be afraid. Even if attacked, I will remain CONFIDENT. The one thing I ask of the Lord - what I seek most, is to live in His house all the days of my life, delighting in His perfections and meditating in His temple. For He will hide me there when troubles come. He will place me out of reach on a rock. Then I will hold my head high above my enemies who surround me. At his sanctuary, I will offer sacrifices with shouts of JOY, SINGING, and PRAISING Him with music." (Psalm 27:1-6)


I can CHOOSE to wallow in pity, for me and my loved ones, OR I can follow the example of my hero, my grandma, who helped to shape me as a mother, as a Christian, and as a woman, AND, even in her time of trouble, still speaks of her faith and taking each day as it comes and finding JOY in each day!  I choose JOY!  


Be Blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment